Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Lab 15. Space Invaders. Testing module II (DAC)

I'm testing the DAC. I was initially designed the DAC to be a 4bit DAC as it was in lab13 but going a little bit through the code I've seen that the sound resources I've got are 8 bit so I had either to upgrade the DAC from 4 bit to 8bit or downgrade the sound sources from 8bit to either 6 or 4 bits. I've read that 6bits DAC makes a pretty good sound (in the other hand it will take more memory! and I've only 32k!). So I've take the decission to upgrade my DAC to 6bits and downgrade the wave sources from 8bits to 6bits.

Here are my waves:

  • explosion.wav
  • fastinvader1.wav
  • fastinvader2.wav 
  • fastinvader3.wav
  • fastinvader4.wav
  • invaderkilled.wav
  • shoot.wav
  • ufo_highpitch.wav
  • ufo_lowpitch.wav
And here it is the Matlab script to download the wave and covert it, downsample it: (watch out! this converter is for 4bits)

Anyways, my first test of the DAC module is to test that the DAC is correctly implemented, so here I show you the ramp of a 6bit DAC and a closer look of the DAC hardware implementation, that' all for today folks!





No comments: